If your hair is feeling rough and frizzy right now, please raise your hands. Most shampoos out there have sulfates that with their detergent-like properties strip away moisture, leaving them rough, frizzy, and dry. Ideally, follow the shampoo routine with a conditioner. Whether you have super thick and curly, or very fine and straight hair, you cannot get away with just cleaning your hair with shampoo, conditioning is just as important. Do not like the idea of coating hair with chemical-laden conditioners? Don’t worry, here are a homemade hair conditioners that will help you to hydrate, rejuvenate and revitalize your hair without burning a hole in your pocket.
1. Banana Hair Conditioner: Take 1 large overripe banana, 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp pure vegetable glycerin and 2 tbsp honey. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until you get a smooth paste. Apply this conditioner on your hair and let sit for 30-45 minutes under a shower cap. Rinse thoroughly with tap water and then wash off with a mild shampoo. This conditioner improves the manageability of hair and gives you the moisturizing benefits.
2. Honey Conditioner: Take half cup honey, one and half cups water, half cup organic coconut milk and 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil. Blend the ingredients thoroughly in a food processor or blender so that all the ingredients are mixed well. Now, slightly heat this mixture in a saucepan (the mixture should be able to be handled without burning your fingers). Apply to hair from root to tip and then cover with a plastic cap. Rinse off with lukewarm water and then shampoo and condition as usual.
3. Take 1 medium banana, 1 egg, 1/2 avocado, 2 tbsp honey, 3 tbsp buttermilk and 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Put all the ingredients in a blender to get a smooth consistency. Apply this mask from roots to tips and leave it on for about half an hour and then wash out with a moisturizing shampoo. Slather your hair in this rich conditioner to bring back its lost lustre.
4. Yogurt and Mayonnaise Conditioner: Take 1 egg white, 1/4 cup plain organic yogurt and 1/4 cup mayonnaise. Beat egg white until frothy and then mix in yogurt and mayonnaise. Massage this mixture into wet hair and then cover your hair with a shower cap. Leave it on for about 30 minutes and then wash out with a mild shampoo. Use it as a monthly deep conditioning treatment to get silky and manageable hair.
5. Avocado Deep Conditioner: Take 1/2 ripe avocado, 1/2 tsp olive oil and 3 drops lavender or rosemary essential oil. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend well so that no lumps remain. Apply this paste on your hair, focusing on the ends. Leave on for at least 10 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water and then wash out with a moisturizing shampoo.
6. ACV and Egg Protein Deep Conditioner: Take 1 egg, half cup apple cider vinegar,1 cup plain unflavored yogurt and 5 drops of your favourite essence oil (a scented one such as jasmine or lavender would make a difference to the scent of this concoction). Mix all the ingredients well in a bowl and then apply to wet hair. Leave it on for half an hour before washing your hair off with a mild shampoo. This mild moisturizing protein treatment will do wonders for hair especially if you want to increase the volume of the hair.
7. Avocado and Mayonnaise Conditioner: Mash half of a ripe avocado and add 2 tbsp of mayonnaise, and tbsp of olive oil. Mix well and apply to the hair. Keep for one hour and wash off with a mild shampoo.
8. Ghee with Olive Oil: Clarified butter or ghee adds ample moisture to dry hair and when you mix olive oil with ghee, it’s a double boost of hydration. Mix 4 tbsp of ghee with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Apply all over hair and scalp, keep for one hour and rinse with a mild shampoo.